Monday, April 23, 2007

Games

When I was a little girl, my dad had a book named "games people play" in his library...I always presumed that the book was about sports...you know, like cricket and chess and all that...when I myself started reading a bit, I always ignored that book...who wants to read about sports really!? It was much later that I came to know that the "games" being talked about were very different...and much more complicated...they had the usual ingredients like moves, counter moves, strategies and even results...but it all happened in this obscure world of relationships and interplay...and the magnanimity and significance of these interplays has never hit me harder than now...

There are many people who qualify as friends...people whom you hang out with, go for movies with, party with, share some of your intimate secrets with...there are friends whom you like but never really understand...or worse, friends whom you choose not to understand because of the fear that you might end up disliking them...and there is always this trust and this understanding that neither would do anything to mess up this fragile equation...but it's always a temptation...there is a childlike curiosity to fiddle with that equation a bit and see what happens...and most of us, at some point in our lives, fall prey to that urge...

Somehow the adage that people change with time doesn't make much sense to me anymore...do we change or do we consciously and openly start playing games? There are many things in my life that are not the same any more...and if I think of it, nothing has comes as a big surprise...there is no revelation or clarity...only sadness that in some cases, the equation has been interfered with...no one has changed but the relationships have...

2 comments:

contrarian said...

clueless?

Anonymous said...

i guess we all play games. only some do it with a more conscious effort to do so.
i think that the best players of the game of life are those who never get caught playing it........