Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Black & White

Dear F, Oscar Wilde also said two more things...

"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing." (You know the context)

"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." (This is a pre-emptive action for the post below, since this is another one of the self-centered posts)

I have always considered myself to be a person of extremes...not the I-indulge-in-crazy-things kind of a person...but someone for whom most (please notice, not all!) things are either this way or that way...so, I either like someone or I don't...I might be indifferent to most people but there is no one I like or dislike somewhat...to me, either one can be totally motivated or totally de-motivated, how can it be any different? Any piece I write is either good or bad, but its never just ok...my efforts are either present or absent, there are never any half hearted attempts...or to simplify it further...its either black or white, I don't believe in grays...

I repeat, I don't believe in grays...according to me they just complicate life further...

Now, the issue here is that a lot people around me don't seem to get that...to give them their credit, they don't agree with this way of leading one's life...according to them we gradually need to change the 'blacks' of our personalities/lives to 'whites'...which is ok but even after struggling with this issue for many years I still can't see any merit in changing my outlook...assuming of course, that I can actually do something about it...and moreover, why does the journey from black to white need to go through so many other shades? Why am I being convinced that any change is a continuous function...when to me, it has always seemed to be a discrete one!

They seem to see things that I am not enthusiastic about - like socializing,learning something new, work,even shopping! But like the quintessential other side of the coin, they conveniently ignore things that I am really enthusiastic about...like driving, music, drinking & dancing, eating, writing (in my own little capacity)...I know I usually waste my time in office, but there are periods when I have put in 15 hrs a day as well...but basically if one is excited about what can be easily seen and shared, you pass the test...otherwise, like me one is easily shoved to the dark corners of apparent disposition of apathy!!

Of course, their point of view is not completely meritless either...one of the best examples that has been thrown on my face is the mismatch between how I am doing things as opposed to what I want from life...the means are somehow not justifying the ends...and if I want what I want then I need to create some level of liking for the means I have chosen...or find some other means that I really do like...I really have no counter arguement for this, yet...except that I am trying to change the means...but with how much enthusiam,that is,really,a personal call...

But in the end, my only non-humble submission is that - keep the colours to yourself and let me revel in the glory of colourlessness...I might not go too far with it, but I know it is the only way to be for me and in its own way, it makes life worth living...

No comments: