Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Details

Details. The god damn details. Who so ever said that we should look at the bigger picture must have been a fool. I mean, over the years if there is one thing that I have been denying - it is that details are very important in the larger scheme of things...But I guess, it is high time I accepted it and changed a few things in my life...Be it a project you are doing, something you have to cook, a pair of jeans that you buy, brief you give to an agency, anything...and maybe most importantly, the attention that we pay to details of learning an art...there is practically no way you can learn something new without knowing each and every intricacy of that craft...

Ever since I can remember, I have been a practitioner of cursory glances...I have always been an 'essence' person...be it the elaborate environment-describing part of a novel, the reading comprehension passages in exams (which is quite good actually!), driving a car...as long as I reach my destination safe and sound, its fine...but the finesse that comes with acquiring a skill, naah...I think I just totally missed the point there...

Different people have called it different things...no motivation, laziness, temperament, heredity (which might not possible, as both my parents are suckers for details), restlessness, an urge to get somewhere too soon, shirking of responsibility, lack of commitment etc etc...maybe its a combination of all these things...whatever it is - I think its harming me now...in a way, the effects are showing in the bigger picture...

They say that the first step to solving a 'problem' is to accept it...does this confession amount to acceptance? Is acceptance a sure sign of change? Will the change be for the better? Or will this change, like everything else, still be just as far from that illusionary balance that we are all trying to achieve??

No comments: